Friday, March 21, 2008

Evaluating Others

It is quite hard to evaluate people that you know. That is how I felt when I evaluated them because it did not want to offend them. In order to give a fare evaluation I appeared “anonymous” in the evaluating paper to cover my identity and so that hey would not feel offended or have grudges against me.

For what I saw, some of them did a great job on their activities and others just did it for the sake of participating. For the set inductions stage most of them did a great job and got our attention. There are some of them who went over the border and had violent video clips or animations which is not appropriate for school students though it was interesting. This stage was learner orientated but most of the teachers failed to connect the set induction with the lesson that they are about to learn or to pre-reading stage. There was not much explanation about the set induction about what the students are going to learn. Even if there were some introduction it seemed vague.

In pre-reading stage the extracts that were chosen were in appropriate length, were not too short and were not too long. Most of the activities that were carried out were quite interesting and appropriate and it was within the learner’s ability. But the only thing is that some of them failed to give out the instruction clear and there were quite a few teachers who were grammatically wrong when they gave out the instructions to the learner.

In the while reading stage as usual some failed to connect it with their pre- reading stage. The activities were efficient and were not too taught for the learners. During the pre-reading stage and while-reading stage the activities were learner centered and the teacher was being facilitators.

There is a lot to improve in teachers language as they still seem to have trouble in pronouncing and speaking in English. They seem to be influenced by their accent and as Dr. Edwin always say “Speak English!” now I understand what he means when I evaluate others. Besides pronunciation and grammars the voice projection was loud and clear though one or two seem to have trouble with it. There isn’t problem that cant be solved.

Besides that the teachers should know the answers and double check with others to see if its right before they teach it. I have experienced in re-doing my microteaching almost four time to get my adjectives right and I think I must be an expert when it comes to adjectives now. I noticed during the evaluation that one of the pair did an activity on adjectives and they have answers which were not adjectives at all! And at that particular time I coud not question them because I don’t have the right to do so and the s=lesson jusr went on with wrong answers. This would have been a problem if they were teaching students in school and giving wrong information.

No comments: