Sunday, March 23, 2008

Being Evaluated

I was quite nervous when I was being evaluated. I was not sure if I had it all to ace my microteaching. At the end if the microteaching Cik Siti actually said that she was impressed with what I had. She was impressed with the set induction and also mentioned that I made it clear about what I would be teaching in the pre-reading stage. I paired up with Manesha for the microteaching. We did not get to do our pre-reading stage as we did not have much time left but she glanced through our lesson plan and she was already impressed with it because of the instructions in the worksheet which connected with the previous activities. The only thing was that my last while-reading activity was 200 words essays and she said it would not be appropriate for while-reading stage. Anyway she gave us 13.5 over 15, so I guess that she was impressed with my work. Thanks to Dr. Edwin as I followed every single thing that he taught me in the previous semester.

Coming to being evaluated by my friends were the worst part as they did not give right comments such as how was the pronunciation or if the text was appropriated but we got comments such as the amount of worksheets were not enough!

The other thing is that every one commented good and excellent for all the stages but when it comes to the “grade” part, most of them gave me a “B” or a “B+”! If all the stages were good and excellent and nothing was wrong or to be commented, then I would deserve at least an “A” or “A-”!! So I do not know what went wrong there. And my best friends gave so many comments such as the activity was so lousy and all other cheeky comments and gave me an “A” when they graded me. So I guess this grading thing does not work with people that you know because they tend not to be so serious when they do so. Its hard to evaluate someone you know because you do not want to hurt anyone’s feelings.

As for me, I have not come to the stage where I am able to grade others as I do not know what I am grading on and what I am looking for in a person. I may need time to adapt to this kind of situations. So I guess this evaluating others would be a great start for me to give an honest grade to others.

2 comments:

JAYSHRI said...

I actually agree with Rachel that it is very nervous to be evaluated by my peers. but i would like to tell Rachel that her set induction was very interesting and had been able to relate it to the students and made them get involved in the activities. but there are some things that i feel Rachel could have done to make the activities more interesting. I would like to suggest to Rachel that the next time try to come with more fun activity just like how you did the last time. bravo

mohana said...

Hey ya..
I absent on that day so i really don't know how interesting your set induction is anyway...congratulation because you got 13.5 over 15.Bravo. A set induction is very important to attract the student to get into the lesson . Our frens who are not give high marks on you because maybe they feel you can do much more better or they expect you to do in even better, i guess (cheer up.. let us take this positively). as for me, what you are saying is true. some of our fren "just the minority group" did not do honestly commenting on our presentation instead critizing badly (not respecting) or saying that the teacher is over confident which is not related to our simulated teaching at all(sound stupid right?). which it seems that so childish for me. i really like the way you comments on me, because you help me.. on how to present and you gave me the + and - about my presentation. thank u 4 that and i learn a lot and i will improved it for the next time, especially in my Grammar, it quite bad i know but i'm improving it. it will take time. It is a weakness for me which i can overcome before i become a teacher.. This is what really a comment!! yeah i like it.The commentation is a comment on ur works and IT is NOT A WEAPON for personal attack (This is not BRAVE, but it is a TIMID). this everybody must think and realize. and i hope people who did it will read through you. and Rachel anyway you are doing very good job and actually i waiting someone to open this topic n you did it... thanks for that ya... tc